I drove out to the Western suburbs and spent a happy half-hour picking through cases. It was a little like trying on shoes -- exciting, with a wealth of possibilities and a whiff of risk. I picked an adorable, adjustable, feather-light periwinkle number by Musilia, then set about trying out cellos.
By the time I had exchanged emails and phone calls with the (very helpful) insurance agent, half of my workday was over. I had an evening commitment, too.
So, as far as progress: I picked out the wood and measured the density of the top and back. I made a couple of templates for the top and bottom block, and I finished the mould.
Not great, not terrible.